Recruitment processes differ significantly in terms of the type of organizations, the industry in which these organizations operate and their size. However, every recruitment process, even in a small organization with a considerably easy business, should be well-planned. We present a general roadmap for recruiters, which will help to design the whole process.
- Firstly, try to understand the position that is needed in the organization. If you are familiar with the role, it can be an easy task to prepare the process. However, if the position is new for you, do research. It will be helpful to read about tasks and responsibilities that can be connected with the role. Such pre-preparation will be crucial in later conversations with the hiring managers.
- Schedule a meeting with the hiring managers or team leaders. They will be the main supervisors of the new employees so they will have the best knowledge of the key competencies required for this particular job.
- Discuss what kind of hard skills will be needed to perform the job, for example, knowledge of some specific technologies, tools, or procedures. Some managers believe that hard skills are essential to complete all tasks, however, HR recruiters should always remember that soft skills are equally important if they want to build successful teams.
- Soft skills, such as teamwork, communication skills or/and customer skills are just as relevant. There are considered to be the crucial qualities that people should have to interact and cooperate in every workplace.
- In addition to the requirements towards the candidate, try to understand what the new employee’s daily routine will be like. Candidates have a right to ask recruiters what kind of responsibilities they will have to deal with every day.
- At this point in time, you should be well prepared for the first meetings with the candidates. The next step would be planning the structure of the whole process. Think carefully how many meetings are needed to complete the process. Apart from meetings, plan your screenings and selection. Think of the key criteria which will help you to choose the right candidates for the next stages. The structure is very important because candidates want to know what the recruitment process will look like and how much time they will have to devote to it.
- Once the job description and the structure of the process are ready, prepare a list of sources you are going to use to gain new applications. Do a research of the best job sites which will help you to attract candidates and post your job offer.
- Prepare promotional campaigns for social media and think about unconventional methods of convincing candidates to apply. Implementing modern methods can be very helpful with untypical and difficult roles.
- Choose your HR platform which helps you to organize your process and communication with candidates.
- Create your recruitment project in the HR platform and start the process.
One of the best practices during the recruitment process is to provide information to hiring managers so they have instant access to all details that concern the process. Your HR platform should enable you to quickly find and analyze key competences of every candidate. In addition, it should ensure that the candidate’s information is confidential and protected, giving recruiters and hiring managers the feeling of the highest standards of work.